Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Jennifer Rush to perform in South Africa for the very first time!!



Jennifer Rush, one of music’s most enduring names, is currently in South Africa where she will perform three concerts at Emperors Palace on the 1st, 3rd and 4th of May.

Fans will remember this dynamic performer with her potent voice for such memorable hits as “Power of Love,” “Ring of Ice ,” “Madonna’s Eyes” and “Flames of Paradise”, “Never say Never”, ”Ave Maria”, “Tears in the Rain” and many more.

She’s an evergreen who has been going strong for more than three decades and shows no signs of slowing down.

Rush said from New York she was excited that she would be able to spend more time in South Africa.

“I was there recording the video to the song Credo, Namibia which was beautiful, but had no time to spend in other parts of the country. And unfortunately have not had the time to go back. It’s a country I’ve been wanting so desperately to get back to and perform .”

Highlight of the concerts will be her support acts who will be The SA Youth Choir and Romanz.
Jennifer is thrilled to be appearing with fresh and fine South African talent.
What struck Rush on her last trip to South Africa was hearing the different languages and dialects which, she said, she loved. 

“The country itself, as well as the people, is the most beautiful place I have ever been to. One can only use the word magical to describe it.”

Asked about what fans can expect from her concerts, she replied: “I will be performing many of my hits. I will be bringing my own band and two back up vocalists with me. They too are very excited to be coming to South Africa.

I actually asked my South African friends and their acquaintances which songs they think South Africa would like – aside, of course, from hit songs - and I think we have come up with a great song list, which will even include a few songs from the last CD, ‘Now Is The Hour.’”

Rush still has the energy and love for her work. She said simply. “I love what I do,” adding that it was “quite a blessing to have a job you truly enjoyed.”

She explained, however, that like every other job singing has it's challenges and she can understand when other artists at times hate to travel or when they speak only one language. The additional consideration she admits to having is taking care of her voice.

“Singers cannot go out on the town the night before a performance. Talking a lot is the worst for your voice. But since I grew up with parents who were opera singers I know how to take care of my voice.”

Talking about her background and the influence her parents had on her, Rush revealed that her
parents never pushed her into music.

“I grew up with my dad and his second wife and my biological mother - and we all got along very well.
However, they were all musicians, as were most of the grownups to whom I was exposed. “Everyone was a dancer, a singer, a writer or people of that ilk. It was very New York! My older brothers knew at a very early age they wanted to be musicians. I was not so sure about that! Now they all say they knew I was going to be a singer but they didn't want to push me. Being a Mom, I can understand that.

And of course this is no easy business to be in. It was my father who had me go into a studio to sing a bunch of songs and who sent my cassettes out to countless record labels, unbeknown to me. Having grown up in different countries, and seeing what the demands of this business are, was a big influence.”

On the future, Rush has already recorded some material for a new CD but is keeping mum on the subject at the moment.

Her last CD “Now is the Hour” came out in 2010. Meanwhile, Jennifer Rush has a South African tour to look forward to and she cannot wait to get here and meet the people.

JENNIFER RUSH TOUR DATES:
· April 26 and 27 Cape Town International Convention Centre
· May 1, 3 and 4 Emperors Palace, Kempton Park

Tickets are available from Computicket and range in price from R480 to R670.

COLIN LAW
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
afroasialtd


No comments: